Remember as a kid learning the alphabet with illustrations for each of the letters: A is for Alligator, B is for Ball, C is for Cat?
We want to do the same thing, but with D.C. photographs to illustrate each letter of the alphabet, and we are asking local photographers to be part of this project.
It’s simple – take a photo during the month of June, label it with a single word to represent it, and send it to us. The word can be anything you chose, either abstract or concrete – from Angst, Baseball, or Clock to Xeriscape, Yelling, or Zebra, but it should do a good job of summarizing the subject or concept of the photo. We want photos that represent D.C., so go out and take photos on the streets rather than in a studio location. (want an idea of what we are looking for? – here are some samples)
Well, aside from the fun:
- the winning photographer, judged by a panel of independent judges, will receive a $100 gift certificate from Adorama
- all the photographs submitted will be published on this site, along with credit and links to your social media or portfolio sites.
This event is part of the Click D.C. celebration, which takes place during the month of June.
About the judging
What the judges will be looking for in picking the winning photo:
- a great photo
- the photo does a good job of illustrating the word you choose it to represent
- bonus points if the photo shows a quintessentially D.C. scene
The winning photographer will be announced by July 10th.
Rules and conditions
- The photograph must be taken between June 1 and June 30, 2019
- The photograph must be taken within the boundaries of D.C. (not the Metro area)
- You retain full copyright, but give this site (The Uncommon District) the right to publish the photo on this site, with credit given
- Images may be edited in any style, but we are looking for images that realistically represent D.C., so no composites or fictional elements added
- You warrant that the photo is your original work, and that it is in compliance with all laws (privacy laws, copyright applicable to any elements shown in the photo, and any other applicable laws)
- We reserve the right to not publish any photo that is overtly partisan or has content not suitable for viewing by all ages.
How to submit
- You may submit up to 3 photos. Photos should be jpegs, with minimum dimensions of 1,200 pixels on the long side.
- Submissions may be made at any time from June 1 until midnight July 2nd
Images should be emailed to email@example.com and include:
- Your name and email
- The single word that you choose each photo to represent (ex: Angst, Baseball, Clock, etc.)
- The date the photo was taken, and its general location. If you want to be more specific in describing the photo, that would be great
- up to 2 links of your choice to your social media or portfolio sites. These links will appear in addition to your credit by the photo.